I’m excited to share the recipe for chicken rice soup that my mom made for the family regularly. It’s only seven ingredients but it’s very tasty and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, too!
Ingredients and directions for the rice
- 1 cup uncooked white, long grain rice
- Dash of olive oil (1-2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups of water
Stir rice, olive oil, and water in medium size pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover. Simmer on low heat for 18-20 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Set aside.
Ingredients and directions for chicken and broth
- 1 to 1.5 pounds of chicken. You can really used whatever kind you want. I used to use chicken wings but I now just use boneless, skinless chicken breast because it’s less work.
- 5-8 chicken bouillon cubes (I use 6)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Lemon juice (1 squirt from bottled juice or juice that’s squeezed from 1/2 of a lemon)
- 2 quarts (8 cups) of water
- salt to taste
Add chicken and 2 quarts of water to a large pot. Add bouillon cubes – how much is a personal preference. I’ve seen recipes that only use 2 but I’ve also seen recipes that use up to 10. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook until chicken is done, about 15 minutes (if you’re using full chicken breast, complete with skin and bone, you might cook it for 20 minutes). Remove chicken from pot, allow it to cool, and then shred it with two forks or cut it in to cubes.
Add chicken, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, oregano, lemon juice, and rice back to broth and simmer for a few minutes. Add salt to taste. Remove from heat and serve with warm muffins or crusty bread. Enjoy!