This past week I worked on refinishing a desk for a friend. When I first saw the desk, I thought it was really cute and didn’t really need to be refinished but it did have quite a few scratches on the top and drawers and the finish was dull in a lot of places. I was excited to work on a quality piece, especially since my last project was built with wood veneer and that can be a pain to work with. Here are some before pictures:
I started on Monday by taking out the drawers and sanding the top. I took most of the finish off with an 80 grit and then I moved to 100, 150, and then 220. It took about 45 minutes to get everything completed removed.
Afterward, I turned the desk upside down on top of towels so the top wouldn’t get scratched and then I taped off the edges and added a layer of primer.
After the primer dried, I lightly sanded it, otherwise the brush marks would be visible underneath the paint. on Tuesday I added two coats of Undersea by Behr which looked dark when I picked it out in the store but it turned out much more blue than I wanted:
I also thought I would like the flat finish but I didn’t. So the next morning I went to Lowe’s and bought Corduroy Black by Valspar in a satin finish.
On Wednesday I added a layer of Early American stain by Minwax. I also filled the holes on the small desk drawers because I wanted those to have a knob instead of a pull. I also vacuumed out sawdust that had collected inside the desk.
On Thursday I added a 2nd layer of stain and a coat of the new paint I purchased. It was starting to look pretty good.
On Friday I added 4 coats of satin polyurethane from Rust-Oleum and wiped the painted part of the desk and drawers down with a damp cloth to remove any remaining dust. On Saturday morning, I distressed parts of the desk with 220 grit sandpaper, had my husband drill holes for the knobs in the small drawers, and then I added the knobs and drawer pull and brought it inside.
Here is how it looks now:
Good luck with any projects you have this summer.