Hi All! Today I made a family recipe for beef and vegetable soup. It turned out great and was perfect for a cold, rainy day.
– 2 pounds of bottom round cut beef. Top round and English roast also work.
– 12 oz. can of tomato sauce
– Small bag of frozen mixed vegetables (mine had peas, corn, carrots, and green beans)
– 3/4 cup of frozen lima beans (optional)
– 4 to 5 stalks of celery, cut in to small slices
– 3 to 4 red potatoes, cut in to chunks
– 1 beef bouillon cube
– 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
– 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano
– 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
– 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
– The night before, rinse the beef and put in crock pot. Pour cold water in to crock pot over the beef until it is just covered. Cook on low overnight.
– In the morning, remove the beef from the crock pot. Using two forks, shred the beef. Discard any fat.
– Keep the water that’s left over in the crock pot because this is the start of your broth. Add the beef bouillon cube, tomato sauce, and the spices/seasoning to the crock pot. Stir.
– Add the beef and vegetables to the crock pot and stir until ingredients are mixed. Cook on low all day (8-10 hours) or on high 4-6 hours.
I served the soup with yummy cinnamon muffins straight from the oven.