I’m excited to share the recipe for chicken rice soup that my mom made for the family regularly. It’s only seven ingredients but it’s very tasty and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, too!
Ingredients and directions for the rice
1 cup uncooked white, long grain rice
Dash of olive oil (1-2 teaspoons)
2 cups of water
Stir rice, olive oil, and water in medium size pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover. Simmer on low heat for 18-20 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Set aside.
Ingredients and directions for chicken and broth
1 to 1.5 pounds of chicken. You can really used whatever kind you want. I used to use chicken wings but I now just use boneless, skinless chicken breast because it’s less work.
5-8 chicken bouillon cubes (I use 6)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Lemon juice (1 squirt from bottled juice or juice that’s squeezed from 1/2 of a lemon)
2 quarts (8 cups) of water
salt to taste
Add chicken and 2 quarts of water to a large pot. Add bouillon cubes – how much is a personal preference. I’ve seen recipes that only use 2 but I’ve also seen recipes that use up to 10. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook until chicken is done, about 15 minutes (if you’re using full chicken breast, complete with skin and bone, you might cook it for 20 minutes). Remove chicken from pot, allow it to cool, and then shred it with two forks or cut it in to cubes.
Add chicken, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, oregano, lemon juice, and rice back to broth and simmer for a few minutes. Add salt to taste. Remove from heat and serve with warm muffins or crusty bread. Enjoy!
Hi All! Today I made a family recipe for beef and vegetable soup. It turned out great and was perfect for a cold, rainy day.
– 2 pounds of bottom round cut beef. Top round and English roast also work.
– 12 oz. can of tomato sauce
– Small bag of frozen mixed vegetables (mine had peas, corn, carrots, and green beans)
– 3/4 cup of frozen lima beans (optional)
– 4 to 5 stalks of celery, cut in to small slices
– 3 to 4 red potatoes, cut in to chunks
– 1 beef bouillon cube
– 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
– 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano
– 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
– 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
– The night before, rinse the beef and put in crock pot. Pour cold water in to crock pot over the beef until it is just covered. Cook on low overnight.
– In the morning, remove the beef from the crock pot. Using two forks, shred the beef. Discard any fat.
– Keep the water that’s left over in the crock pot because this is the start of your broth. Add the beef bouillon cube, tomato sauce, and the spices/seasoning to the crock pot. Stir.
– Add the beef and vegetables to the crock pot and stir until ingredients are mixed. Cook on low all day (8-10 hours) or on high 4-6 hours.
I served the soup with yummy cinnamon muffins straight from the oven.