Happy New Year everyone!
Today I made chocolate cake using a recipe a friend gave to me about 10 years ago. The recipe calls for strong coffee, which makes the cake moist. In exchange for the coffee, you can use less butter and no oil. So, it’s healthy cake! Right?
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
½ tsp baking soda
¼ cup low fat buttermilk
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup brewed strong coffee
½ cup cocoa powder
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat 9 inch round pan with cooking spray. I used a springform pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, and baking soda. Whisk buttermilk, egg, and vanilla in separate bowl.
- Combine coffee and cocoa in large saucepan. Add butter and bring to a boil. Whisk constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in dry ingredients. Add buttermilk mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan and bake 15 to 20 minutes. Or until top looks dry.
If you’d like to add a chocolate glaze (as shown in the picture above), the directions are below. I added chocolate glaze and strawberries to my piece of cake today, but it’s honestly delicious without anything on it at all. In my opinion, this cake is so moist, it’s like a brownie. Yum!
2 tbs low-fat buttermilk
2 tbs cocoa powder
2 tbs unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
Combine buttermilk, cocoa powder, and butter in medium saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and stir in sugar and vanilla.
Pierce holes all over cake with fork and spread glaze over cake. Let stand 5 minutes.